The UFC returns for its next pay-per-view offering as UFC 227 takes place on Saturday, Aug. 4 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The main event features a rematch for the bantamweight title, as champion T.J. Dillashaw battles Cody Garbrandt.
The co-main event is also a rematch, when Demetrious Johnson defends the flyweight championship against Henry Cejudo.
Dillashaw (16-3) and Garbrandt first met at UFC 217. Garbrandt (11-1) looked like he was well on his way to his first successful title defense when he rocked Dillashaw with a right hand. But, Dillashaw rebounded quickly and went on to knock Garbrandt out in the second round.
DAZN: There’s a new way to watch fight sports — find out more
It appeared Dillashaw would be moving down to 125 pounds and challenging Johnson for his belt. Johnson though, went on to have shoulder surgery and the Garbrandt rematch was the best available option for him. The trash talk between the former teammates has only intensified leading into the rematch with neither guy taking a back seat.
Johnson (27-2-1) knocked out Cejudo in the first round at UFC 197 in April 2016. Since then, Johnson has successfully defended his title vs. Tim Elliot, Wilson Reis and most recently, Ray Borg at UFC 215. A win at UFC 227 would be the twelfth straight title defense for the guy who many feel is the greatest fighter of all-time.
Cejudo (12-2) comes in with some momentum, having won two of three since the loss to Johnson, including a dominant performance in last outing against Sergio Pettis at UFC 218.
MORE: Win tickets to a major fight – find out how
UFC 227 is a top-heavy event. It is rare to see title rematches take place on the same card. Can Garbrandt and Cejudo reverse their fortunes or do Dillashaw and Johnson continue to rule and inch closer to a superfight?
(All times Eastern.)
UFC 227 date, start time
UFC 227 takes place on Saturday, Aug. 4. Pay-per-view coverage begins at 10 p.m. Dillashaw and Garbrandt should enter the Octagon at around 12:15 a.m.
How to watch UFC 227
The main card on pay-per-view can be purchased for $64.99. For more information on how to order UFC 227: Dillshaw vs. Garbrandt II, contact your service provider. You can also live-stream UFC 227 and order the main card on UFC.TV for $64.99.
UFC 227 fight card
- T.J. Dillashaw (c) vs. Cody Garbrandt II for Dillashaw’s Bantamweight title
- Demetrious Johnson (c) vs. Henry Cejudo II for Johnson’s Flyweight title
- Thiago Santos vs. Kevin Holland; Middleweight
- Polyana Viana vs. JJ Aldrich; Women’s Strawweight
- Cub Swanson vs. Renato Moicano; Featherweight
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Brett Johns; Bantamweight
- Ricky Simon vs. Montel Jackson; Bantamweight
- Bethe Correia vs. Irene Aldana; Women’s Bantamweight
- Matt Sayles vs. Sheymon Moraes; Featherweight
- Jose Torres vs. Alex Perez; Flyweight
- Ricardo Ramos vs. Kyung Ho Kang; Bantamweight
- Danielle Taylor vs. Zhang Weili; Women’s Strawweight
- Marlon Vera vs. Wuliji Buren; Bantamweight
Share if you enjoyed this post!